Skip to main content

But what if I am not good enough?

 My dear friend,

You asked me how you could be certain that when you cross the threshold from this life into the next that you will be greeted by the welcoming arms of our Lord.  The very fact that you are questioning this core element of faith tells me something about your heart; it says much about the state of your soul.  You see, in one of Jesus' first sermons, he declared what God was looking for, what type of person might enter the kingdom of heaven..  

Matthew 5:3-5
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth."

You have looked deep into your heart and you know that you are not worthy of the Holy God Almighty.  You know your humanity, your weakness, your sin and you sense that you could never stand in the presence of a holy God, the God who IS worthy.  And with all of your heart you have worshiped Him as the only One who is worthy.  The poor in spirit, the meek, the people who know they desperately need God's gift of grace - those are the ones who are going to be in heaven.  


One thing that might help you lay down this doubt (or fear) is to remember HOW you got saved in the first place and what Jesus did for you.  If it was on your righteousness or on your good works, you would have every reason to feel uneasy.  But when we look at scripture we see that God saves us in spite of our failures and that He paid the price for our freedom and our eternal life.  

Romans 5:8 

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Our salvation from the punishment of sin comes only through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and not through any of our own efforts.  It was gift that we did not deserve, given freely with amazing love from the great Giver above.  The words used to describe what Jesus did for us on the cross include SAVED, RECONCILED,  and RANSOMED.  According to God's Holy Laws, all of us were doomed to hell, ever since Adam and Eve chose to defy God and sin.  Romans 6:23 tells us the wages of sin is death (eternal death).  So, we were enemies to God and we were on a path to death and condemnation.  So if Jesus's death saves us, what does that mean?  

1.  He paid an atonement for our sin, He paid the price, which cancels our debt (the wages of sin is death).  In essence, Jesus's sacrifice buys us entrance to relationship with God forever.  

Ephesians 2:8-9
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

2.  He closed the gap between us and God.  Sin separated us from God, made us unholy and God cannot be in the presence of unholiness.  Jesus cleanses us and gives us His holiness so we can draw near to God.  Jesus made it possible for us to reconciled to God, to know God and to be embraced by God.

Hebrews 4: 16

Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

3.  Jesus ransomed us from being chained to sin and death and His death brought us new life.  Eternal life.  This gift of eternal life comes through CHRIST alone, by FAITH alone, and by GRACE alone.

Another way to answer this question about your eternal destination is to consider WHO qualifies you for entrance into heaven.   He is a God who is SOVEREIGN, He is in control, He knows everything, sees everything and He is holding onto you!  

John 10:28

I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.

He is the God who saves, He is the God who created you and designed the entire universe, He is the God who has power over death and sin.  His power and His love, His justice and His forgiveness combine to make Him not only able to rescue us but to transform us and to cleanse us, to make us holy before Him.

Jude 1:24-25 
To him who is able to keep you from stumbling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.

And lastly, remember how deeply He loves you.  He died for YOU.  He poured out His love for you and He will always love you!

Romans 8:38-39
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Shepherd like Him

   For our first day of inservice this fall my superintendent showed the funny commercial where cowboys are riding around in the fields herding cats.  Some days, that's definitely what this job feels like if you've ever tried to teach a cat to obey (dogs love to do tricks; cats not so much!).   But I think a more apt description of my job (as a school leader) is that of a shepherd.  I read John 10 this morning thinking about how much I appreciate the imagery of God as my shepherd: John 10:2 - 3 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.   The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. The first thing I notice about Jesus as my shepherd is that He KNOWS me and I know Him.  We have a valuable relationship and I trust that He has my best interests at heart.  He knows my name and He leads me individually even as a part of the whole flock.   As I imitate Jesus' example of leadership,

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

Keeping Your Eyes Forward Focused

 In 2016 I had a scary experience with my eyes.  Noticing that my vision was deteriorating, I had made an appointment to see the Optometrist in the town nearest to my new location.  He was an elderly doctor who had practiced forever in his little clinic.  As he was examining my eyes, he asked how many fingers he was holding up to my left side.  I couldn't see his hand (and I internally gulped).  He proceeded to ask how long I had noticed that "curtain" in my vision.  I was a bit baffled - how long had I had an entire part of my vision missing?  I knew something was wrong but I didn't realize HOW wrong it was.  And it had been off for a while too - a least a few months and maybe even more when I considered the fact that I had been experiencing floaters in my eyes for a year but figured that was just normal since my previous optometrist told me it was nothing to worry about.   Apparently, when you see a shower of black specks in your eyes, that's NOT normal!  And so