Skip to main content

A Person of Prayer

I remember it like it was yesterday even though 1990 was over 30 years ago. A group of young InterVarsity students hopped off the plane in Illinois with our suitcases ready for the Christmas break tradition of Urbana.  We wheeled our suitcases through 3 inches of snow to our dorm rooms and prepared for the opening session.  The next day I signed up for a session about prayer and it sparked in me a passion for prayer that has followed me through many different seasons of life.  I made a commitment to pray through my notecard list of people in my life, to pray for the world, the government, missions, and more.  A small group of us met daily during college to lift up our friends, family and missionaries we knew.  

Jump forward a few years and I found myself boarding a plane that was headed a lot farther away than Illinois.  On my first missionary journey to Ukraine, I met many men and women of prayer who influenced my daily prayer life.  One lovely lady who had been a missionary for most of her life shared a book with me from Concerned Women for America that had daily prayers in it from Scripture.  It led me through a prayer time with worship, confession, intercession and thanksgiving as I prayed through the Word.  This practice followed me for many years and that little book is falling apart now but it still brings inspiration to my prayer life when I need it.  

When I entered into my days as a stay-at-home mom, I missed the quiet moments I had as a single adult and struggled to find a way to keep prayer as a priority.  I read a book during this time about contemplative prayer which catapulted me into a deeper relationship with Jesus in a quest to fill the longing I had for connection with Him.  

And through the years, I prayed over my marriage with the power of a praying wife and over my children with the power of a praying parent.  I prayed through the psalms and I prayed with 31 days of praise.  I prayed with others in children's ministries and with women in Bible studies and retreats.  I began a practice of gratitude in prayers by counting my 1000 gifts, continuously turning my eyes to the Giver.  

In my career as an educator, I prayed over my students, carrying home their hurts, mistakes and worries.  I prayed for those who needed to know love, for those who had addictions, those who were terribly lost and didn't even realize it.  I met each year with students at the flagpole to pray and encouraged them to make prayer a part of their daily lives.  

In 2015, after much personal prayer, I accepted a position as a middle/high school principal and in those first years of administration I was overwhelmed by the needs of 40 staff and over 300 students.  I became the person who knew and carried around the hurts, anxieties, trauma, losses, and dysfunction of all those children and adults.  The only way I knew to deal with all of that heavy burden was to lay it at Jesus' feet.  I came morning after morning and petitioned God to care for each of these precious people with greater compassion and mercy than even I could imagine.  

So, that's how I became a praying principal.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

How to Shepherd like Him

   For our first day of inservice this fall my superintendent showed the funny commercial where cowboys are riding around in the fields herding cats.  Some days, that's definitely what this job feels like if you've ever tried to teach a cat to obey (dogs love to do tricks; cats not so much!).   But I think a more apt description of my job (as a school leader) is that of a shepherd.  I read John 10 this morning thinking about how much I appreciate the imagery of God as my shepherd: John 10:2 - 3 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.   The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. The first thing I notice about Jesus as my shepherd is that He KNOWS me and I know Him.  We have a valuable relationship and I trust that He has my best interests at heart.  He knows my name and He leads me individually even as a part of the whole flock.   As I imitate Jesus' example of leadership,

An Uncommon Leader

 I've been reading the book of Exodus lately and thinking about Moses as an example for leadership, but probably not in all the ways we might expect.  There's no question that Moses was one of the most influential leaders in all of history as he took a scraggly group of slaves and over the course of 40 years transformed them into a cohesive nation.  They lacked purpose, direction and unity when they started out on their own.  God chose Moses to lead them from slavery into the promised land - what was it that made Moses such an uncommon leader? First of all, Moses would not have made it through the screening processes we have for approving leaders in this century.  Remember, he killed an Egyptian, enacted martial law, became the judge, jury and executioner when he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew slave.  He ran away and hid for 40 years in the desert before he returned to Egypt again (he probably never thought he was going back).   In addition to a pretty bad background check, h