Skip to main content

The Light of the World

 My home is at the crest of a hill overlooking woods on one side and a field to the east, which means that I often get to view the most beautiful sunsets in the early mornings.  When the sun is just crossing the horizon and the sky turns golden, I am reminded why mornings are my favorite time of day.  The warm hues signify the end of a dark night and beginning of a new and fresh day.  Luke 1:78 refers to Jesus as the "sunrise from on high," which aptly describes Christ's purpose in entering our world as a child.  He came to be the light in a dark world, bringing hope, mercy and righteousness which humanity was desperate for.  

This reference to Jesus as the sunrise from on high reminds me of the beginning of time when light was first created.  In Genesis 1:3, God declared that there would be light and instantaneously the light came into existence.  Light is simultaneous with God's presence, His holiness and His truth.  He spoke and the light came to be.  In John 1:14, Jesus is called the Light of the World and I wonder if we might consider what all that means.

Light clearly illuminates the darkness; it is a contrast to evil and it shines into dark corners, making what was once hidden now exposed.  1 John 1 speaks of walking in the light as a euphemism for living a blameless life, an authentic life where sin is exposed so God can deal with is and cleanse us from it.  

Are you walking in the light?  A life of transparency, honesty, confession...

Light is crucial for finding our way, and although I've participated in dark night walk, I certainly appreciate being able to see the obstacles that might be in my path. 

In the Old Testament when Moses was leading the Israelites through the desert, God showed up as a pillar of fire by night to guide them on their way.  The light from a large fire is both mesmerizing and a bit frightening.  It seems untamed and powerful even as we gather closer to gain warmth and visibility.  Whenever we used to sing the song as kids "This Little Light of Mine," I imagined it as a candle even though it's pretty rare that I would use a candle for light in the 21st century.  

Light represents God's presence, His truth (enlighten us Lord!), His direction, and His cleansing power in our hearts.

Matthew 5:14-16 

14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. 15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. 16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

If Jesus is THE Light of the world, what does it look like for us to shine our light?  

Jesus is the Sun and we are like the moon; the only light we have to offer comes from reflecting God's light in our lives.  Remember the story of Moses when we met with God?  He would meet with God in the tent and when he came out his face shone so brightly the people couldn't bear to look at him (Exodus 35:29-35).  He had to wear a veil until the shine of the glory of God diminished.  When someone looks at me, I hope that they can see the Light of Christ in my heart, that there would be nothing in my life to detract from that light and that His glory wouldn't fade away in my life.

Have you encountered The One True Light?  Like Moses, do you shine in radiance from spending time soaking up the Light?

Jesus makes it clear that we can hide that light instead of letting it shine brightly.  I think of the flame on a candle that can be easily blown out unless it is protected from the passing wind.  Or in a propane lantern, when the fuel has been used up, the light is snuffed out.  Are we guarding the light in our hearts?  Are we fueling it with time in God's Word, with His people, worshipping Him?  

Is it possible you are hiding your light?  These days the world isn't a welcoming place for Christians and it can be risky to share openly about your faith.  The apostle Paul said, "I am not ashamed of the gospel"....can we say the same?  Sometimes I think we hide our light (or don't want others to know about our faith) because we fear their judgment on our lives.  If we follow Jesus, shouldn't our lives be a little more perfect?  But remember that it is only the reflection of God's light in our lives that we want to shine.  It isn't about us and our human failings but about how God is working in our lives!



2 Corinthians 3:18  May this describe our lives:

And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Shine On!

Heather


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

How to Shepherd like Him

   For our first day of inservice this fall my superintendent showed the funny commercial where cowboys are riding around in the fields herding cats.  Some days, that's definitely what this job feels like if you've ever tried to teach a cat to obey (dogs love to do tricks; cats not so much!).   But I think a more apt description of my job (as a school leader) is that of a shepherd.  I read John 10 this morning thinking about how much I appreciate the imagery of God as my shepherd: John 10:2 - 3 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.   The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. The first thing I notice about Jesus as my shepherd is that He KNOWS me and I know Him.  We have a valuable relationship and I trust that He has my best interests at heart.  He knows my name and He leads me individually even as a part of the whole flock.   As I imitate Jesus' example of leadership,

An Uncommon Leader

 I've been reading the book of Exodus lately and thinking about Moses as an example for leadership, but probably not in all the ways we might expect.  There's no question that Moses was one of the most influential leaders in all of history as he took a scraggly group of slaves and over the course of 40 years transformed them into a cohesive nation.  They lacked purpose, direction and unity when they started out on their own.  God chose Moses to lead them from slavery into the promised land - what was it that made Moses such an uncommon leader? First of all, Moses would not have made it through the screening processes we have for approving leaders in this century.  Remember, he killed an Egyptian, enacted martial law, became the judge, jury and executioner when he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew slave.  He ran away and hid for 40 years in the desert before he returned to Egypt again (he probably never thought he was going back).   In addition to a pretty bad background check, h