Skip to main content

How to Shepherd like Him

  


For our first day of inservice this fall my superintendent showed the funny commercial where cowboys are riding around in the fields herding cats.  Some days, that's definitely what this job feels like if you've ever tried to teach a cat to obey (dogs love to do tricks; cats not so much!).  

But I think a more apt description of my job (as a school leader) is that of a shepherd.  I read John 10 this morning thinking about how much I appreciate the imagery of God as my shepherd:

John 10:2 - 3 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.

The first thing I notice about Jesus as my shepherd is that He KNOWS me and I know Him.  We have a valuable relationship and I trust that He has my best interests at heart.  He knows my name and He leads me individually even as a part of the whole flock.  

As I imitate Jesus' example of leadership, I want to know the adults and children in my building personally and be mindful to care for their individual needs so that we can all move in the same direction.  This kind of leadership is gentle and kind; it's personal while still aiming for a common goal.

 John 10:11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 

Jesus is predicting His death on the cross for our sins with this statement but He is also showing us a glimpse of His heart.  He can see into the distance down the path our lives are following and He knows there is disaster ahead.  He jumps in front of us in our wandering blind march towards death and He rescues us from eternal disaster.  His one goal is to protect us, to save us and His life was spent on our behalf. 

Jesus' leadership is sacrificial and self-less in a way that is beyond my understanding.  Although I know that I am powerless to save anyone from death, I do know that a servant heart, a sacrificial attitude will make me into a less self-centered leader, someone who lives for others.  May I love others the way Jesus did - as if their very life depended upon it.  (1 John 3:16 "This is how we know what love is:  Jesus Christ lay down His life for us.  And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.")

John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.

Jesus makes it quite clear that there are evil forces out there - thieves who are only out to steal, kill and destroy.  In many ways, these words are quite literal.  

What steals your joy, your purpose, your passion?  The world throws so many things at us that look deceptively like they will fulfill but those are empty promises.  The enemy wants to kill our souls, to kill our relationship with God and to kill any hope we find through God's Word.  

And if you work in this business of shepherding children, you probably know many stories of lives that have been destroyed by the hand of the enemy.  In the guise of drugs or alcohol, abuse or neglect, trauma and devastating diagnoses, the enemy tries to destroy faith, families, and kindness.  

So, if I am to shepherd following the steps of Jesus, I must cling to the fulness of life that only comes through abiding in Him (#1).  And with that fulness, I can pour out His hope, His joy, His love, His kindness, His truth into every hurting soul that crosses my path this year.  

Friends, may your year also be filled with hope and joy and may you know the Good Shepherd who guides with love and truth.  And may God guide you through this next school year with His gentle hand as Your shepherd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

Keeping Your Eyes Forward Focused

 In 2016 I had a scary experience with my eyes.  Noticing that my vision was deteriorating, I had made an appointment to see the Optometrist in the town nearest to my new location.  He was an elderly doctor who had practiced forever in his little clinic.  As he was examining my eyes, he asked how many fingers he was holding up to my left side.  I couldn't see his hand (and I internally gulped).  He proceeded to ask how long I had noticed that "curtain" in my vision.  I was a bit baffled - how long had I had an entire part of my vision missing?  I knew something was wrong but I didn't realize HOW wrong it was.  And it had been off for a while too - a least a few months and maybe even more when I considered the fact that I had been experiencing floaters in my eyes for a year but figured that was just normal since my previous optometrist told me it was nothing to worry about.   Apparently, when you see a shower of black specks in your eyes, that's NOT normal!  And so