Skip to main content

Praying for the Little Children (of the world)


One of the best ways to learn how to pray powerful prayers is to look at prayers in the scriptures.  Today, I'd like to unpack a favorite scriptural prayer as you might pray it over your children, or the children you serve daily if you work in a school or are part of children's ministry.  Of course, these biblical prayers are applicable to all believers and can guide in how we pray for each other in general.  Pray this along with me for the children (big or little!) in our lives and across the world:

Colossians 1:9-12  

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God...

  • to fill you with the knowledge of His will
    • Father, we pray that our children will know Your will, that they will know deep in their hearts what You require of them and how You have called them to live according to Your laws.
  • through all spiritual wisdom and understanding...
    • Lord, we know that wisdom is knowing how to apply our knowledge of Your truth (Your Word) to our daily lives.  May our children grow in their ability to make good decisions on a regular basis and how to understand and discern what are the better choices.  
  • And we pray this order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way
    • Father, may our children please You with their lives, may they live for You whether at school, in sports or activities, or at home, and may their lives bring You glory.
  • bearing fruit in every good work,
    • And Lord as they make good choices, may others see that they are filled with love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).  
  • growing in the knowledge of God.
    • May our children continue to grow to know You, to know how much You love them and to hear Your call in their hearts to follow You of their own will.  May they hunger and thirst for You, seek You, and keep pursuing You all of their lives.
  • being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might 
    • Lord, we pray that You would remind our children that they can do nothing without You but with You they CAN!  May they rely on Your strength to face the challenges they have each day and experience You empowering them!
  • so that you may have great endurance and patience
    • May our children grow in patience, learning to wait instead of the instant gratification of the 21st century.  May they learn endurance as they persevere through hard circumstances (with Your power in them!) instead of giving up the minute it gets hard.  
  • and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.
    • And lastly, Father, we pray for our children most of all to know that their greatest JOY comes from knowing they belong to You.  May they find their identity and purpose in You alone and may they thank You daily for the biggest gift of all - the gift of forgiveness and eternal life through Jesus!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Shepherd like Him

   For our first day of inservice this fall my superintendent showed the funny commercial where cowboys are riding around in the fields herding cats.  Some days, that's definitely what this job feels like if you've ever tried to teach a cat to obey (dogs love to do tricks; cats not so much!).   But I think a more apt description of my job (as a school leader) is that of a shepherd.  I read John 10 this morning thinking about how much I appreciate the imagery of God as my shepherd: John 10:2 - 3 The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep.   The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. The first thing I notice about Jesus as my shepherd is that He KNOWS me and I know Him.  We have a valuable relationship and I trust that He has my best interests at heart.  He knows my name and He leads me individually even as a part of the whole flock.   As I imitate Jesus' example of leadership,

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

Keeping Your Eyes Forward Focused

 In 2016 I had a scary experience with my eyes.  Noticing that my vision was deteriorating, I had made an appointment to see the Optometrist in the town nearest to my new location.  He was an elderly doctor who had practiced forever in his little clinic.  As he was examining my eyes, he asked how many fingers he was holding up to my left side.  I couldn't see his hand (and I internally gulped).  He proceeded to ask how long I had noticed that "curtain" in my vision.  I was a bit baffled - how long had I had an entire part of my vision missing?  I knew something was wrong but I didn't realize HOW wrong it was.  And it had been off for a while too - a least a few months and maybe even more when I considered the fact that I had been experiencing floaters in my eyes for a year but figured that was just normal since my previous optometrist told me it was nothing to worry about.   Apparently, when you see a shower of black specks in your eyes, that's NOT normal!  And so