Skip to main content

Day 2 - Praying Scripture (to the Light of the world)

To desire revival... and at the same time to neglect (personal) prayer and devotion is to wish one way and walk another. 

— A.W. Tozer

When I was in Ukraine during the 1990’s, I often visited the Orthodox churches in our city.  Holidays, weddings and regular Sunday morning worship looked very different from our western evangelical church services. I have one visual memory in particular of rows and rows of little burning candles. In the Orthodox church, when a person wanted to pray for someone or some situation, they would go to the church, buy a little yellow thin candle, and light it as part of their prayer.  Now just to be clear, lighting a candle isn't necessary for us to commune with God, but the flame on a candle is a beautiful symbol of how God illuminates our path through prayer and how His presence warms us and brightens our day.  Sometimes I enjoy the ambience of a candle burning during my prayer time, just to remember that our prayers are like incense on the altar (Revelation 5:8).  


With that fire in our hearts, let’s bring our prayers to the Lord today:


Worship the God who hears our prayers, the Light of the World

God, you are the Light of the World.  Bring light to the dark places in this world, illuminating the darkness, making truth shine and giving hope for our future in You.  


John 8:12

When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Appropriate the truth of scripture as you grow in your walk of faith

Lord, I pray that your light will shine throughout the world. But especially, Lord, I ask that I would be a light for You, that I would reflect Your perfect light as I walk out my faith. Give me opportunities to share your good news with others.


Matthew 9:37-38

Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”


Matthew 5:16

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.



Light - Walk in the light by openly confessing your sins and need for God


Lord, I know that You are with me wherever I go and that Your concern for me and love for me are beyond understanding - too wonderful for me!  And yet I know You see my failures, my mistakes and my need to keep coming to You for forgiveness - You are a light to all my dark places.  As I pray this psalm aloud, I ask You to show me where I have fallen short so I can freely receive Your grace.


Psalm 139:1-12, 23-24

You have searched me, Lord,
    and you know me.

You know when I sit and when I rise;
    you perceive my thoughts from afar.

You discern my going out and my lying down;
    you are familiar with all my ways.

Before a word is on my tongue
    you, Lord, know it completely.

You hem me in behind and before,
    and you lay your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
    too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence? 

If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,

even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”

even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.

Search me, God, and know my heart;

    test me and know my anxious thoughts.

See if there is any offensive way in me,

    and lead me in the way everlasting.

Know Him more and more as you spend time with Him daily

Lord, fill me with knowledge to understand Your will, to make wise decisions, and live in a way that is worthy of You.


Colossians 1:9-14

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,  


so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: 

bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,


being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.


For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,  in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.


Father, we are so grateful You sent Jesus to be the light of the world and we are amazed that You would choose us to work alongside You in this mission. Show us how to live like citizens of the kingdom of light.


Prayers for others today:

S - Missions

M - Family

T - Church and Friends

W - Work

Th - Community

F - World affairs

Sat - Self


Blessings on your day,

Heather


P.S. If you just jumped into this blog post, you can read the first post explaining how to walk with God through your prayer life and the first day of praying through scripture here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

An Uncommon Leader

 I've been reading the book of Exodus lately and thinking about Moses as an example for leadership, but probably not in all the ways we might expect.  There's no question that Moses was one of the most influential leaders in all of history as he took a scraggly group of slaves and over the course of 40 years transformed them into a cohesive nation.  They lacked purpose, direction and unity when they started out on their own.  God chose Moses to lead them from slavery into the promised land - what was it that made Moses such an uncommon leader? First of all, Moses would not have made it through the screening processes we have for approving leaders in this century.  Remember, he killed an Egyptian, enacted martial law, became the judge, jury and executioner when he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew slave.  He ran away and hid for 40 years in the desert before he returned to Egypt again (he probably never thought he was going back).   In addition to a pretty bad background check, h

Prayers for Your Children

 My adult children have all left the nest, the last one off to college just this past month.  As they find their new independence and live far away from home, I am reminded of my great calling to pray for them regularly.  The best way to pray for someone is to follow the models we find in scripture, so I started with this Levitical blessing from Numbers 6:24-27.   The LORD bless you... We pray for our children that God would bless their lives, knowing that in this world there are many troubles and He never promised to keep us from them (John 16:33).  However, we know that blessings follow obedience and blessings are always found when living in His will.  We pray that God's good gifts would come to our children (Luke 11:11-13) because He is a good Father and He loves our kids just as much as we do!  May He bless them with peace that is beyond understanding no matter what challenges they face (Philippians 4:4-7).  May He bless them with good jobs, godly spouses, children to love, and