Skip to main content

Praying to the Word (Day 3)

"The first thing I did, after having asked in a few words the Lord’s blessing upon His precious Word, was to begin to meditate on the Word of God; searching, as it were, into every verse, to get blessing out of it; not for the sake of the public ministry of the Word; not for the sake or preaching on what I had meditated upon; but for the sake of obtaining food for my own soul. The result I have found to be almost invariably this, that after a very few minutes my soul has been led to confession, or to thanksgiving, or to intercession, or to supplication; so that though I did not, as it were, give myself to prayer, but to meditation, yet it turned almost immediately more or less into prayer."
- George Mueller

In the beginning, God created the universe with nothing other than the word of His mouth.  With His word, He created us.  Then at Mt. Sinai, He delivered His Word, also called His Law, statutes, or commandments to Moses so we could know how to live for Him.  The Bible is God’s revelation to us about Who He is and how we can have a relationship with Him.  But, when Jesus came, He became the Word of God in the flesh.  The Word walked and lived among us so we could know in a more personal way who God is.  Remember as you read these scriptures to let this be the prayer of your heart…speak it aloud in your prayer to the Lord.

Worship God, the One True Word

Lord, I thank You for the Word, the Bible filled with revelation of Your interactions with us as human beings.  What a gift that You also sent Jesus so we could see the Word in flesh.  

Psalm 19:7-11

The law of the Lord is perfect,
    refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
    making wise the simple.

The precepts of the Lord are right,
    giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant,
    giving light to the eyes.

The fear of the Lord is pure,
    enduring forever.
The decrees of the Lord are firm,
    and all of them are righteous.

They are more precious than gold,
    than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey,
    than honey from the honeycomb.

By them your servant is warned;
    in keeping them there is great reward. 

Appropriate the truth of scripture as you grow in your walk of faith

Lord, I pray for a greater understanding of and a greater love for Your Word today.

Psalm 119:9-16

How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.

I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.

I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.

Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees. 

With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.

I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches. 

I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.

I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.


Light - Walk in the light by openly confessing your sins and need for God

May these words from Psalm 19 remind me Lord to seek to please You with my words and thoughts. Lord, I seek Your forgiveness and Your saving power from sin's clutches.

Psalm 19:12-14

But who can discern their own errors?
    Forgive my hidden faults.

Keep your servant also from willful sins;
    may they not rule over me.
Then I will be blameless,
    innocent of great transgression.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart
    be pleasing in your sight,
    Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.


Know Him more and more as you spend time with Him daily

 Jesus, may I know you in your humanity as much as your divinity, to understand Your emotions and heart, Your humility in becoming a baby, Your servant heart in dying for us, and Your awesome power as the God of the universe.  You are full of grace but also glory.  May I know more and more who You are.


John 1:1 - 3, 14

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 


The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.


Prayers for others today:

S - Missions

M - Family

T - Church and Friends

W - Work

Th - Community

F - World affairs

Sat - Self


Praying for a day filled with the truth of God's Word saturating your thoughts,

Heather

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Acceptance, Validation and Affirmation

In a world where there is an almost greedy grappling for external validation and feedback, I find myself sometimes wondering how to center my identity in Christ alone and not in what others think of me.  The acceptance of others can often be dependent upon what they might receive from that relationship while the acceptance of God is unconditional.  The approval of others changes from day to day and cannot be a strong foundation for security in my value and purpose.  The one thing I truly long for is to someday hear from the only true Judge, "well done, good and faithful servant."  This collection of truths from the gospel of John serves to remind me that I find my acceptance, my approval, validation and affirmation from Jesus alone and my identity is firm in the Word of God.   John 1:12 I am a child of God - Oh to think that He would adopt me into His family.  That He would call me His own dear child, that I would be considered His inheritance, that I would have all the pri

An Uncommon Leader

 I've been reading the book of Exodus lately and thinking about Moses as an example for leadership, but probably not in all the ways we might expect.  There's no question that Moses was one of the most influential leaders in all of history as he took a scraggly group of slaves and over the course of 40 years transformed them into a cohesive nation.  They lacked purpose, direction and unity when they started out on their own.  God chose Moses to lead them from slavery into the promised land - what was it that made Moses such an uncommon leader? First of all, Moses would not have made it through the screening processes we have for approving leaders in this century.  Remember, he killed an Egyptian, enacted martial law, became the judge, jury and executioner when he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew slave.  He ran away and hid for 40 years in the desert before he returned to Egypt again (he probably never thought he was going back).   In addition to a pretty bad background check, h

Prayers for Your Children

 My adult children have all left the nest, the last one off to college just this past month.  As they find their new independence and live far away from home, I am reminded of my great calling to pray for them regularly.  The best way to pray for someone is to follow the models we find in scripture, so I started with this Levitical blessing from Numbers 6:24-27.   The LORD bless you... We pray for our children that God would bless their lives, knowing that in this world there are many troubles and He never promised to keep us from them (John 16:33).  However, we know that blessings follow obedience and blessings are always found when living in His will.  We pray that God's good gifts would come to our children (Luke 11:11-13) because He is a good Father and He loves our kids just as much as we do!  May He bless them with peace that is beyond understanding no matter what challenges they face (Philippians 4:4-7).  May He bless them with good jobs, godly spouses, children to love, and